    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.21
    Jeff Garzik wrote:

    >IMO, the closer you look, the more warts you find. Before you starting
    >doing your work with kernel regressions, no one was really tracking it.
    > I bet you have helped cut down on the regressions, but I have no good
    >way to quantify my gut feeling.
    >
    >Additional comments on developers and fixing regressions:
    >
    >* Sometimes seeing a long list, peoples' eyes glaze over. Its just
    >human nature. A long list also gives us no idea of scale, or severity.
    > I bet a weekly "top 10 bugs and regressions" email would help focus
    >developer attention.
    >
    >* To be effective, lists, either long or top-10, must be pruned if you
    >get a sense that only one user is affected. [With oopses and BUGs as a
    >clear exception,] many problems benefit from at least two users
    >reporting a bug.
    >
    >* It gets a bit tiresome to field the large number of driver bug reports
    >that eventually turn out to be related to broken interrupt handling
    >somehow. I think we developers need to get better at showing users how
    >to isolate driver vs. PCI/ACPI/core bugs. Maybe drivers need to start
    >introducing interrupt delivery tests into their probe code. Overall,
    >broken interrupt handling manifests in several ways, most of which
    >initially appear symptomatic of a broken driver.
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    >-

    Jeff,

    If hardware worked in the previous version of the kernel can't users expect
    the same hardware to work in this kernel?

    Steve

    --

    "They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
    deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

    decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

      Last update: 2007-04-26 21:17    [W:0.024 / U:98.612 seconds]