    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.21
    Stephen Clark wrote:

    > If hardware worked in the previous version of the kernel can't users expect
    > the same hardware to work in this kernel?

    Failure of that assumption is the heart of the whole "regression"
    discussion. It's not limited to hardware, kernel security might be an
    issue, some network protocols might work faster and less reliably, etc.

    Kernel behavior changes sometimes totally break user software which
    makes unwarranted assumptions. That's not a regression, although users
    may see it that way. When a change in fork() changed the
    child-runs-first behavior, many programs broke, as was true with
    threading changes. Bad reliability is the reward for bad code, but if a
    kernel change makes that obvious some people think it's a regression.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>