    SubjectRe: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers
    On Thursday 15 February 2007, Neil Brown wrote:
    >On Wednesday February 14, vj.linux@gmail.com wrote:
    >> However we have a worrying trend here. If at some point it becomes
    >> illegal to load our modules into the linux kernel, then it is
    >> unacceptable to us. We would have been better off choosing VxWorks or
    >> OSE 3 years ago when we made an OS choice. The fact that Linux is
    >> becoming more and more closed is very very alarming.
    >
    >Might I suggest that you give very serious consideration to
    >open-sourcing your drivers? There are benefits and well as costs, and
    >many have found that the benefits substantially out weigh the costs.
    >
    >NeilBrown

    Speaking as one who has not contributed back to the kernel other than an
    occasional bug report as I'm getting too old to code alongside these
    wizards, please let me say:

    That's an admirable bit of advice Neil, but I have serious doubts it will
    fall on a fertile mind. From vj's tone here, its obvious that he thinks
    its fine to leech his income stream from code that is free. And giving
    one teeny little patch for some utility back seems to make him think he
    has paid the bill. Methinks he has not paid the bill in kind because its
    an ongoing rental.

    Now, if he _were_ to contribute his top secret drivers into the kernel
    tree, how are we to convince vj that it is in his best interest in the
    long run to do so? After all, the many eyeballs theory will guarantee
    that his codebase will not go untouched because bugs he doesn't even know
    exist will be noticed and fixed, and routine speedups of 2x are entirely
    possible too. He will in the long run get back faster, more stable code
    which can't do anything but enhance the value of his hardware, both in
    how well it runs, but in the public's perception too, simply because it
    IS in the kernel tree and therefore very well reviewed. And that vj, is
    an advertising point of no little value.

    But, I suspect by now he has pulled the batteries out of his hearing aid
    so he doesn't have to listen to any more of this blasphemous talk.
    Sad...

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

      Last update: 2007-02-15 07:53    [W:0.021 / U:31.264 seconds]