    SubjectRe: GPL vs non-GPL device drivers
    On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:32:30 EST, "linux-os (Dick Johnson)" said:
    > There are a lot of device drivers that will never make it into the
    > mainline kernel because they are for one-of-a-kind devices or boards
    > that companies embed into their products. Nobody would even want a
    > copy of the software to interface with something that they would
    > never even have. When Version 2.6 started, it became necessary to
    > use special tools and procedures to compile a module that was not
    > inside the mainline kernel. However, it was still quite easy. Recently,
    > somebody, apparently with an advanced degree in obfuscation, has made
    > that more difficult. This is abuse, pure and simple. That, in my
    > opinion, is one of the major reasons why people who use Linux in
    > embedded systems end up using very old versions.

    Actually, the *real* reason embedded systems end up using old versions is
    much simpler.

    They start developing their code on release 2.X.Y, and they keep their code
    out-of-tree. Then, when they come up for air, and it's at 2.X.(Y+15), they
    discover that we weren't kidding when we shipped stable_api_nonsense.txt,
    and since their code isn't in the tree, they have to do all the API cleanup
    themselves, because no flock of nit-picking kernel janitor monkeys swarmed
    over their code and magically fixed it up for them.

    And unless Y+15 has some *very* compelling reasons to move forward, just
    sticking at Y suddenly starts looking very good, because watching somebody
    else's kernel janitor monkeys fix your code is fairly cheap, but paying your
    own kernel janitor monkeys gets expensive really fast....

      Last update: 2007-02-16 09:23    [W:0.021 / U:61.212 seconds]