SubjectRe: [patch] x86: split FPU state from task state
On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 10:49:44PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> this can very much be done, with a straightforward extension of how we
> handle FPU state. That makes sense independently of syslets/async as
> well, so find below the standalone patch from Arjan. It's in my current
> syslet queue and works great.

That patch adds a bunch of memory dereferences and another allocation
to the thread creation code path -- a tax that all users must pay. Granted,
it's small, but at the very least should be configurable out for the 99.9%
of users that will never use this functionality.

I'm willing to be convinced, it's just that I would like to see some
numbers that scream out that this is a good thing.