    SubjectRe: [patch 0/6][RFC] Cleanup FIBMAP
    Chris Mason wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:57:06 +0100
    > Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> ->bmap is ugly and horrible! If you have to do this at the very
    >> least please cause ->bmap64 to be able to return error values in case
    >> the file system failed to get the information or indeed such
    >> information does not exist as is the case for compressed and
    >> encrypted files for example and also for small files that are inside
    >> the on-disk inode (NTFS resident files and reiserfs packed tails are
    >> examples of this).
    >>
    >> And another of my pet peeves with ->bmap is that it uses 0 to mean
    >> "sparse" which causes a conflict on NTFS at least as block zero is
    >> part of the $Boot system file so it is a real, valid block... NTFS
    >> uses -1 to denote sparse blocks internally.
    >
    > Reiserfs and Btrfs also use 0 to mean packed. It would be nice if there
    > was a way to indicate your-data-is-here-but-isn't-alone. But that's
    > more of a feature for the FIEMAP stuff.

    I hadn't heard of FIEMAP, so I went back and read the thread from
    April/May. It seems that this is a much better approach than
    introducing a FIBMAP64.

    What ever happened with this proposal?

    Mike Waychison

      Last update: 2007-10-29 20:19    [W:0.025 / U:0.876 seconds]