    SubjectRe: [patch 0/6][RFC] Cleanup FIBMAP

    ->bmap is ugly and horrible! If you have to do this at the very least
    please cause ->bmap64 to be able to return error values in case the
    file system failed to get the information or indeed such information
    does not exist as is the case for compressed and encrypted files for
    example and also for small files that are inside the on-disk inode
    (NTFS resident files and reiserfs packed tails are examples of this).

    And another of my pet peeves with ->bmap is that it uses 0 to mean
    "sparse" which causes a conflict on NTFS at least as block zero is
    part of the $Boot system file so it is a real, valid block... NTFS
    uses -1 to denote sparse blocks internally.

    Best regards,

    On 27 Oct 2007, at 00:37, Mike Waychison wrote:

    > The following series is meant to clean up FIBMAP paths with the
    > eventual goal of allowing users to be able to FIBMAP their data.
    > I'm sending this as an RFC as I've only tested this on a x86_64
    > kernel with a 32bit binary on ext2 and I've noticed a couple
    > ext2_warnings already.
    > I'm unsure of the locking in [4/6] fix_race_with_truncate.patch.
    > Any help here would greatly be appreciated.
    > The last patch, [6/6] drop_cap_sys_rawio_for_fibmap.patch, is of
    > course, not to be applied until any remaining issues are fixed :)
    > Thanks,
    > Mike Waychison

    Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at> (replace at with @)
    Linux NTFS maintainer,

      Last update: 2007-10-27 19:59    [W:0.032 / U:6.524 seconds]