SubjectRe: [ckrm-tech] [patch00/05]: Containers(V2)- Introduction
On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 13:10 -0700, Paul Menage wrote:
> On 9/21/06, Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > > The current fake numa support requires you to choose your node layout
> > > at boot time - I've been working with 64 fake nodes of 128M each,
> > > which gives a reasonable granularity for dividing a machine between
> > > multiple different sized jobs.
> >
> > It still will not satisfy what OpenVZ/Container folks are looking for:
> > 100s of containers.
>
> Right - so fake-numa is not the right solution for everyone, and I
> never suggested that it is. (Having said that, there are discussions
> underway to make the zone-based approach more practical - if you could
> have dynamically-resizable nodes, this would be more applicable to
> openvz).

It would still have the other issue you pointed, i.e the userspace being
able to cope up with memory allocators dynamics.

> But, there's no reason that the OpenVZ resource control mechanisms
> couldn't be hooked into a generic process container mechanism along
> with cpusets and RG.

Isn't that one of the things we are trying to avoid (each one having
their own solution, especially when we _can_ have a common solution).