    Subject[Patch 0/8] per-task delay accounting

    Here are the delay accounting patches again. I'm not using the
    earlier email thread due to code being refactored a bit.

    The previous posting
    of these patches elicited several review comments from Andrew Morton
    all of which have been addressed.

    The other main thread of the comments was whether other accounting
    stakeholders would be ok with this interface. Towards this end,
    I'd posted an overview of what the other packages do (which didn't seem
    to make the archives) and some of the stakeholders responded.

    I'll repost the analysis as a reply to this post. Meanwhile, here's
    the list of the stakeholders identified by Andrew and a summary of status
    of their comments.

    1. CSA accounting/PAGG/JOB: Jay Lan <>

    Raised several points
    all of which have been addressed in this set of patches.

    2. per-process IO statistics: Levent Serinol <>

    No reponse.
    I'd ascertained that its needs are a subset of CSA.

    3. per-cpu time statistics: Erich Focht <>

    No response.
    I'd ascertained that its needs can be met by taskstats
    interface whenever these statistics are submitted for inclusion.

    4. Microstate accounting: Peter Chubb <>

    Mentioned overlap of patches with delay accounting

    and also that a /proc interface was preferable due to convenience.
    My position is that the netlink interface is a superset of /proc due to
    former's ability to supply exit-time data.

    5. ELSA: Guillaume Thouvenin <>

    Confirmed that ELSA is not a direct user of a new kernel statistics
    interface since it is a consumer of CSA or BSD accounting's statistics.

    6. pnotify: Jes Sorensen <>
    (taken over pnotify from Erik Jacobson)

    Informed over private email that pnotify replacement is
    being worked on.

    I'd ascertained that pnotify (or its replacemenent) will not be
    concerned with exporting data to userspace or collecting any stats.
    Thats left to the kernel module that uses pnotify to get
    notifications. CSA is one expected user of pnotify.
    Hence CSA's concerns are the only ones relevant to pnotify as well.

    7. Scalable statistics counters with /proc reporting:
    Ravikiran G Thirumalai, Dipankar Sarma <>

    Confirmed these counters aren't relevant to this discussion.

      Last update: 2006-04-22 23:09    [W:0.024 / U:11.660 seconds]