    SubjectRe: question: pid space semantics.
    On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 11:43:38AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

    > To retain any part of the existing unix process management
    > we need some processes that show up in multiple pid spaces.

    hmm ... not sure about that, what 'we' need is a way
    to move between pid spaces and to control processes
    in a child space from the parent process ...

    nevertheless I don't think we have a problem with
    schizophrenic processes if they have a somewhat sane
    *G* interface/view into both spaces ...

    > To allow for migration it must be possible for the pids in
    > those pid spaces to be different.

    I take that as migration of a 'container' from one
    system to another, not as 'migration' between spaces

    I don't understand what you mean here, please elaborate

    > It is undesirable in the normal case of affairs to allocate more
    > than one pid per process.
    >
    > Given the small range of pid values these constraints make an
    > efficient and general pid space solution challenging.
    >
    > The question:
    > If we could add additional pid values in different pid spaces
    > to a process with a syscall upon demand would that lead to an
    > implementation everyone could use?

    again, for what would I need a 'second' or 'third' pid
    value for a process either on demand or permanent for
    handling or migration?

    > I assume most processes by default only have a pid value in
    > a single pid space.
    >
    > The reason I ask is that I believe I know how to implement
    > a cheap general mechanism for adding additional pids to a
    > process.

    I have the feeling this is going into a completely wrong
    direction, what am I missing here?

    TIA,
    Herbert

    > Eric

      Last update: 2006-03-14 23:43    [W:0.030 / U:0.648 seconds]