    Subjectquestion: pid space semantics.

    To retain any part of the existing unix process management
    we need some processes that show up in multiple pid spaces.

    To allow for migration it must be possible for the pids in those pid
    spaces to be different.

    It is undesirable in the normal case of affairs to allocate more
    than one pid per process.

    Given the small range of pid values these constraints make an
    efficient and general pid space solution challenging.

    The question:
    If we could add additional pid values in different pid spaces to a
    process with a syscall upon demand would that lead to an
    implementation everyone could use?

    I assume most processes by default only have a pid value in a single
    pid space.

    The reason I ask is that I believe I know how to implement a cheap
    general mechanism for adding additional pids to a process.

    Eric

      Last update: 2006-03-14 19:47    [W:5.551 / U:0.828 seconds]