    SubjectRe: Mach-O binary format support and Darwin syscall personality [Was: uts banner changes]

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

    > > Secondly, is there a preferred existing field into which I should
    > > stick said flag or just stuff it somewhere?
    >
    > Yes, thread_info->flags.

    Well, it may actually make sense to actually stick the whole "syscall
    table pointer" in there, rather than a flag that says which pointer to
    choose.

    We already load the thread_info pointer because we need the flags for
    syscall tracing, and since we have the thread_info pointer, it might be
    easier to load the syscall table pointer right off there, rather than
    currently load it off the TOC, which is really sad, since we already
    brought in the thread_info into the cache, and usign the TOC is not just a
    load, it's a load off a separate cacheline).

    So on 64-bit ppc, it could actually speed things up to put the system call
    table pointer into thread_info, and make it more flexible at the same
    time, without any conditional flags.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.047 / U:209.632 seconds]