    SubjectRe: [patch] remove MNT_NOEXEC check for PROT_EXEC mmaps
    On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 03:17:59AM +0000, David Wagner wrote:
    > To be honest, I still don't think you've answered Arjan's question. Ok,
    > so you say it is not a library and not a binary. So what is it that you
    > are maping in as executable, and why do you think it is reasonable to
    > ask the Linux kernel to allow you to execute it, if it lives on a noexec
    > partition?

    He mentioned UML as being one thing affected by this. In this case, you
    can think of it as generating code in a piece of shared memory and
    then executing it. In reality, the code is read from disk rather than
    being generated internally, and it's executed in a different process,
    so it needs to be MAP_SHARED.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2006-10-04 15:47    [W:0.037 / U:29.960 seconds]