    SubjectRe: [patch] remove MNT_NOEXEC check for PROT_EXEC mmaps

    Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > then don't put noexec on /dev/shm.
    That's obviously possible, but I'd feel safer having
    "noexec" on *every* user-writable partition. It used
    to work in the past - that way an attacker had no place
    to run his binary from.

    > fix is phony. Really; I can always put an "unfixed" there
    > and use it as user.
    See above. In the past it was possible to have "noexec"
    on *all* user-writable mounts, so you couldn't run your
    own that easily. Thats why I am reluctant to take
    the "if it hurts, just remove noexec" argument.
    And since you can run the scripts via binfmt-misc, I'd
    also do "chmod 'o-x' perl", so that the direct invocation
    of perl to not be possible for unwanted users. Or do not.
    At least the approach I propose, allows to do this, so the
    "script loader" problem can also be fixed that way.

      Last update: 2006-10-03 21:09    [W:0.020 / U:1.968 seconds]