SubjectCan on-demand loading of user-space executables be disabled ?
Hello,

As far as I understand what happens when I start a Linux program, the executable
file is mmaped into memory and the execution of the code itself prompts Linux to
load the required pages of the program.

I expect that this could cause unwanted delays during program execution when a
function that has never been used (nor loaded into memory) is called. This delay
could be bigger than 10ms while the 2.6 kernel is usually quite predictable
thanks to Ingo Molnar and others' work.

Is Linux really using on-demand loading ?
Is it very different from what I described in the first paragraph ?
Can on-demand loading be disabled ? (This would seem convenient for my
applications since I generally start a program that is meant to run as
predictably as possible for months.)

thanks for your help,

P.O. Gaillard

  Last update: 2006-01-30 11:15    [W:0.051 / U:0.256 seconds]