    SubjectRe: BTTV broken on recent kernels
    Alistair John Strachan wrote:

    >On Monday 16 January 2006 02:05, Bob Gill wrote:
    >>Hi. The last several kernel versions have led to broken bttv (up to 4
    >>or 5 kernel versions ago, I could watch tv on either mplayer or xawtv),
    >>but lately bttv is broken. My card is an 'bt878 compatible built by ATI
    >>(ATI TV Wonder VE). I'm pretty certain it worked as late as
    >>2.6.14-git7. I've peeked around /Changes and didn't see anything. I'm
    >>using the same build script as before, and a piece of lsmod shows
    >>serial_core 14848 1 8250
    >>rtc 9524 0
    >>tuner 36908 0
    >>bttv 148564 0
    >>video_buf 15748 1 bttv
    >>compat_ioctl32 1152 1 bttv
    >>i2c_algo_bit 7432 1 bttv
    >>v4l2_common 6528 2 tuner,bttv
    >>btcx_risc 3720 1 bttv
    >>ir_common 7812 1 bttv
    >>tveeprom 12304 1 bttv
    >>i2c_core 14864 4 tuner,bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom
    >>videodev 6912 1 bttv
    >>snd_emu10k1 94628 2 snd_emu10k1_synth
    >>..........also, a chunk of lspci shows:
    >>0000:00:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game
    >>Port (rev 07)
    >>0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878
    >>Video Capture (rev 02)
    >>0000:00:0b.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio
    >>Capture (rev 02)
    >>'s just that I get a blank (screen blanking due to no signal)
    >>screen when I start a tv application. I can try to change channels/tune
    >>frequencies, and it looks like the applications are trying, but nothing
    >>gets tuned in. To be fair, I must mention that I *ahem* taint the
    >>kernel with Nvidia stuff, and recently upgraded gcc (although it has
    >>always worked well with tainted kernel, and it broke before I upgraded
    >>gcc (to gcc version 4.0.2) on Debian Sarge.
    >This problem sounds suspiciously like an overlay bug, known in the binary
    >NVIDIA driver. Please try changing it to "nv" in XF86Config, then restarting
    >your TV application..
    >>If you *really* want, I can
    >>revert XF86Config to use non-nvidia drivers (and revert back to the old
    >>version of gcc) and give a bug report from that, but I suspect things
    >>will remain broken. Mplayer compiles very well with the new version of
    >>gcc, and the new kernel (buit with the new version of gcc) does
    >>everything else (sound, firewire, cd/dvd/networking, disk I/O etc.)
    >>without problems.
    >>Thanks in advance,
    Alistair, Lee: thank you for your replies. Sadly the bug is in the
    Nvidia binary. Changing the driver to nv from nvidia did resolve the
    issue. Now I have to decide whether I like accelerated 3d more, or
    using the tv tuner more (till Nvidia fixes the driver). Thank you for
    your time. I won't waste any more LKML bandwidth on this (Nvidia bug).
    Thanks again.

      Last update: 2006-01-17 03:05    [W:0.030 / U:14.812 seconds]