SubjectRe: BTTV broken on recent kernels
Alistair John Strachan wrote:

>On Monday 16 January 2006 02:05, Bob Gill wrote:
>

>>Hi. The last several kernel versions have led to broken bttv (up to 4
>>or 5 kernel versions ago, I could watch tv on either mplayer or xawtv),
>>but lately bttv is broken. My card is an 'bt878 compatible built by ATI
>>(ATI TV Wonder VE). I'm pretty certain it worked as late as
>>2.6.14-git7. I've peeked around /Changes and didn't see anything. I'm
>>using the same build script as before, and a piece of lsmod shows
>>serial_core 14848 1 8250
>>rtc 9524 0
>>tuner 36908 0
>>bttv 148564 0
>>video_buf 15748 1 bttv
>>compat_ioctl32 1152 1 bttv
>>i2c_algo_bit 7432 1 bttv
>>v4l2_common 6528 2 tuner,bttv
>>btcx_risc 3720 1 bttv
>>ir_common 7812 1 bttv
>>tveeprom 12304 1 bttv
>>i2c_core 14864 4 tuner,bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom
>>videodev 6912 1 bttv
>>snd_emu10k1 94628 2 snd_emu10k1_synth
>>..........also, a chunk of lspci shows:
>>0000:00:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game
>>Port (rev 07)
>>0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878
>>Video Capture (rev 02)
>>0000:00:0b.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio
>>Capture (rev 02)
>>....it's just that I get a blank (screen blanking due to no signal)
>>screen when I start a tv application. I can try to change channels/tune
>>frequencies, and it looks like the applications are trying, but nothing
>>gets tuned in. To be fair, I must mention that I *ahem* taint the
>>kernel with Nvidia stuff, and recently upgraded gcc (although it has
>>always worked well with tainted kernel, and it broke before I upgraded
>>gcc (to gcc version 4.0.2) on Debian Sarge.
>>

>This problem sounds suspiciously like an overlay bug, known in the binary
>NVIDIA driver. Please try changing it to "nv" in XF86Config, then restarting
>your TV application..
>

>>If you *really* want, I can
>>revert XF86Config to use non-nvidia drivers (and revert back to the old
>>version of gcc) and give a bug report from that, but I suspect things
>>will remain broken. Mplayer compiles very well with the new version of
>>gcc, and the new kernel (buit with the new version of gcc) does
>>everything else (sound, firewire, cd/dvd/networking, disk I/O etc.)
>>without problems.
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Bob

Alistair, Lee: thank you for your replies. Sadly the bug is in the
Nvidia binary. Changing the driver to nv from nvidia did resolve the
issue. Now I have to decide whether I like accelerated 3d more, or
using the tv tuner more (till Nvidia fixes the driver). Thank you for
your time. I won't waste any more LKML bandwidth on this (Nvidia bug).
Thanks again.
Bob

  Last update: 2006-01-17 03:05    [W:0.081 / U:0.040 seconds]