SubjectRe: Dual core Athlons and unsynced TSCs
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 01:09:51PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> > Some apps/users need higher resolution and lower overhead that only rdtsc
> > can offer currently.
>
> But obviously if the TSC gives wildly inaccurate results, it cannot be
> used no matter how low the overhead.

unless we can re-sync the TSCs often enough that apps don't notice.

> > I never tried it with pmtimer, we had HPET available. Empirically TSC did
> > not work (and we had a simple test case to show how bad it could get).
> > HPET made that go away for users of gettimeofday().
> >
> > We're exploring rdtsc-compatible solutions.
> >

> Since timekeeping on these machines has always been completely broken,
> shouldn't the default time source have been changed to the PM timer or
> HPET as soon as the problem was known?

If you have HPET, the kernel will prefer that. I don't know enough about
the PMtimer overhead or resolution to say for sure.

  Last update: 2006-01-13 19:48    [W:0.198 / U:1.288 seconds]