    SubjectRe: [Alsa-devel] Re: [OT] ALSA userspace API complexity
    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Hannu Savolainen wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
    >

    > > > Then you can include a libOSSlib.o library in ALSA with all the OSS
    > > > emulation stuf inside.
    > >
    > > You should do the clear statement that the direct using of syscalls is not
    > > recommented for application developers. Unfortunately at this time, I
    > > admit, it would be very difficult to change the existing applications.

    > Sorry. That breaks backward compatibility with systems that don't have
    > libOSSlib (all current and past Linux distros, all BSD variants,
    > everything but systems with our official OSS package installed). Such
    > statement can be added in 2010 but provided that all Linux distros and
    > other environments having OSS compatible implementations add the osslib_*
    > routines within this year.

    I meant that you can originate to move the OSS entry point to somewhere
    else (library) and try to persuade developers to use library than direct
    calls.

    Of course, we cannot change current applications, but we can start the
    movement now. I just ask you to do it now. Nothing else. It will be a slow
    process but it should be started now.

    Also, I don't think that it will break something. The application
    developers can use your code in their applications directly when the
    distribution does not have the OSS access library package.

    Note that your words clearly states your attitude to change something.

    Jaroslav

    -----
    Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>
    Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
    ALSA Project, SUSE Labs

      Last update: 2006-01-10 15:19    [W:0.022 / U:182.592 seconds]