    SubjectRe: [Alsa-devel] Re: [OT] ALSA userspace API complexity
    Date
    Hi,

    On Monday 09 January 2006 16:10, Hannu Savolainen wrote:

    > > > I don't think so. The library can do such conversions (and alsa-lib does)
    > > > quite easy. If we have a possibility to remove the code from the kernel
    > > > space without any drawbacks, then it should be removed. I don't see any
    > > > advantage to have such conversions in the kernel.
    > >
    > > Also, when the data is already available as single streams in a user-space
    > > multi track application, why should it be forced interleaved, when the hardware
    > > could handle the format just fine?
    > Because the conversion doesn't cost anything. Trying to avoid it by
    > making the API more complicated (I would even say confusing) is extreme
    > overkill.

    Since when doesn't cost convesion anything? I'm able to count a lot of wasted
    CPU cycles in there ...

    > Even worse this kind of features weaken the device abstraction provided by
    > the API. The applications will have to check for this and
    > that and provide support for 100s of special cases that may be required by
    > certain devices.

    An lame write() only player can still open the default device and get the auto-convert
    chain it deserves ...

    Yours,
    Rene Rebe

    --