    SubjectPls help me understand this MCE
    I'm new at this so I'm learning my way through it and I'd appreciate any
    guidance. My system freezes solid intermittently for no apparent
    reason. The serial console shows a kernal panic caused by a machine
    check exception. mcelog decodes the MCE as follows:

    CPU 0 4 northbridge TSC f03d1e587b
    Northbridge Watchdog error
    bit57 = processor context corrupt
    bit61 = error uncorrected
    bus error 'generic participation, request timed out
    generic error mem transaction
    generic access, level generic'
    STATUS b200000000070f0f MCGSTATUS 4

    That's all meaningless to me so I'm looking for help understanding what
    it means and what parts of my system I should be looking at in order to
    try to resolve this MCE.

    A Google search found one hit that suggested that "Something tried to
    access a physical memory address that was not mapped in the CPU." If
    that is indeed the correct interpretation, is there any wany to figure
    out what that "something" is?

    The system in question is a no-name system built from parts by a local
    computer shop. It has an ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard. I have updated the
    BIOS to the latest without affecting this problem. The CPU installed is
    an "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+". I am running Fedora Core 4,
    kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4.

    Any guidance would be appreciated.

    David King

      Last update: 2005-08-11 15:52    [W:0.019 / U:44.172 seconds]