    SubjectRe: Easy trick to reduce kernel footprint
    Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > Here's a simple trick for all those who try to squeeze their kernels to the
    > absolute smallest size.
    > I recently discovered p7zip which comes with the LZMA compression algorithm,
    > which is somewhat better than gzip and bzip2 on most datasets, and I also
    > noticed that this tool provides support for gzip and bzip2 outputs. So I tried
    > to produce some of those standard outputs, and observed a slight gain compared
    > to the default tools. The reason is that we can change the number of passes and
    > the dictionnary size.

    Is it any smaller than a UPX'd kernel? (I think you need the beta version.
    I know the upx-ucl in debian won't compress but upx-ucl-beta will if you
    force). I got a significant reduction using it.

      Last update: 2005-06-06 03:10    [W:0.021 / U:8.428 seconds]