    SubjectRe: Easy trick to reduce kernel footprint
    On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:35:28AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:

    > saves 23 kB (2%) on the overall image without touching any code. The LZMA
    > implementation could save 145 kB (12%), but would require a different
    > extraction code (I've already seen patches to bring LZMA support on 2.4).

    The patch for 2.4 is here:
    and it actually works.

    My not working patch is here:
    you have to apply the patch from the other mail before.
    (or here:

    If you just want to see how it doesn't work, here is a kernel image to
    see it failing in qemu, basically it just decompresses again and again.

    The decompression works correctly(checksum), i think the problem is the address
    where the decompressed kernel image should be, i just can't get out how
    this piece of code is supposed to work.

    Therefore it could be a small problem only.

    Another minor problem of lzma is that you need slightly more memory than
    with gzip. (at least when you can't have the output in a continuous
    piece of memory)
    On the plus side is also that the lzma decompression code itself is
    smaller and doesn't have such a ugly "interface".

    Christian Leber

      Last update: 2005-06-06 03:14    [W:0.031 / U:39.724 seconds]