SubjectRe: optional delay after partition detection at boot time
On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 07:22:45PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Willy Tarreau wrote:
>
> > - you don't know the root device, so the kernel will
> > panic at boot because it cannot find the root device.
> > In this case, you have the partition list still on
> > the screen as it's among the latest things in the
> > boot order. And if your kernel reboots upon panic,
> > just boot it with panic=30 so get 30 seconds to read
> > the partition table.
>
> I have one machine inmy lab that turns out to need to boot from /dev/sdq1
>
> trust me, that partition info has LONG since scrolled off the screen by
> the time it fails to mount and panics.

Interesting. How many total partitions do you have ? I ask this because
David Alan Gilbert proposed a patch to dump the partition list on the
screen upon panic. Perhaps it's larger than the screen in you case ? If
you have more than 25 partitions, to you think they can fit with 2 or 3
columns ?

> I ended up setting up a serial console to capture the boot to figure this
> machine out, but that's a pretty extreme measure to have to go to.
>
> David Lang
>
> P.S. I had to do this after grub failed to mount by label (my guess is
> that grub only looks at so many drives before giving up on finding the
> label) so don't tell me that I should just use labels and then I wouldn't
> have to worry about this type of thing

I wouldn't tell you that, I *hate* labels. It causes lots of problems
when you simply move some disks between machines.

Regards,
Willy

  Last update: 2005-06-13 06:20    [W:0.339 / U:0.052 seconds]