    SubjectRe: Kernel Rootkits
    hi,

    I got the terminology mixed up. I guess what I really want to know is,
    what are the different types of exploits by which rootkits
    (specifically the ones that modify the kernel) can get installed on
    your system.(other than buffer overflow and somebody stealing the root
    password)

    I know that SucKIT is a rootkit that gets loaded as a kernel module
    and adds new system calls. Some other rootkits change machine
    instructions in several kernel functions.

    Once these are loaded into the kernel, is there no way the kernel
    functions can be protected ?

    thanks,
    Allison

      Last update: 2005-04-15 20:25    [W:0.020 / U:1.652 seconds]