    SubjectRe: Can't use SYSFS for "Proprietry" driver modules !!!.
    On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 06:54:52PM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
    > On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 00:01 +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > >
    > > How do you define "proven in court"?
    > >
    > > Decided by an US judge based on US laws?
    > > Decided by a German judge based on German laws?
    > > Decided by a Chinese judge based on Chinese laws?
    > >
    > OK, I was talking about US courts since that case was done in the US.
    > But this is all what I remember about reading some 10 years ago. So I
    > could be all wrong about what happened. I don't have any references and
    > I'm too busy now to look them up. So I may be just speaking out of my
    > ass. :-)
    > > If you distribute software you can be sued in every country you
    > > distribute it.
    > >
    > > E.g. Harald Welte is currently quite successful with legal actions in
    > > Germany against companies that distribute Linux-based routers in Germany
    > > without offering the source of the GPL'ed software they use.
    > Your talking about something completely different. Yes, it is quite
    > explicit if you modify the source, and distribute it in binary only
    > form. I'm talking about writing a separate module that links with the
    > GPL code dynamically. So that the code is compiled different from the
    > GPL code. So the only common part is the API. Now is this a derived
    > work?

    My point was a bit different:

    Harald's action was meant as an example, that such things can be brought
    to court in virtually every country in the world.

    And a court decision in e.g. the USA might not have any influence on a
    court decision in e.g. Germany.

    Some people seem to think that it was enough if something was OK
    according to US law - but that's simply wrong.

    > -- Steve

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.021 / U:67.144 seconds]