    SubjectRe: Can't use SYSFS for "Proprietry" driver modules !!!.
    On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 01:37:11PM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
    > Wasn't this long ago proven in court that the license of headers can't
    > control the code that calls them. IIRC, it was with X Motif and making
    > free libraries for that. So, actually it was for a free solution for a
    > non free one (the other way around). I believe the case sided on the
    > free use. But then again the free code may have had to write their own
    > headers and only the API was free. So if you want to compile against the
    > kernel, you may need to work on rewriting the headers from scratch. Ah,
    > but what do I know?

    How do you define "proven in court"?

    Decided by an US judge based on US laws?
    Decided by a German judge based on German laws?
    Decided by a Chinese judge based on Chinese laws?

    If you distribute software you can be sued in every country you
    distribute it.

    E.g. Harald Welte is currently quite successful with legal actions in
    Germany against companies that distribute Linux-based routers in Germany
    without offering the source of the GPL'ed software they use.

    > -- Steve

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.