    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] OSS gameport fixes
    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:32:17 +0100, Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:
    > This patch adds dummy gameport_register_port, gameport_unregister_port
    > and gameport_set_phys functions to gameport.h for the case when a driver
    > can't use gameport.
    >
    > This fixes the compilation of some OSS drivers with GAMEPORT=n without
    > the need to #if inside every single driver.
    >
    > This patch also removes the non-working and now obsolete SOUND_GAMEPORT.
    >
    > This patch is also an alternative solution for ALSA drivers with similar
    > problems (but #if's inside the drivers might have the advantage of
    > saving some more bytes of gameport is not available).
    >
    > The only user-visible change is that for GAMEPORT=m the affected OSS
    > drivers are now allowed to be built statically (but they won't have
    > gameport support).

    Hi Adrian,

    I have somewhat mixed feeling about the patch. Some solutions is
    definitely needed but I don't like allocating memory that will never
    be used. I think I would perfer #ifdefing gameport support is OSS
    modules, _if_ #ifdefs are out of line and not in the middle of code
    path.

    I'll let Vojtech decide which way he wants to go - he could probably
    apply the patch and then we could convert drivers one by one and kill
    the stubs later.

    --
    Dmitry