    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] OSS gameport fixes
    On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 10:36:57AM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:32:17 +0100, Adrian Bunk <> wrote:
    > > This patch adds dummy gameport_register_port, gameport_unregister_port
    > > and gameport_set_phys functions to gameport.h for the case when a driver
    > > can't use gameport.
    > >
    > > This fixes the compilation of some OSS drivers with GAMEPORT=n without
    > > the need to #if inside every single driver.
    > >
    > > This patch also removes the non-working and now obsolete SOUND_GAMEPORT.
    > >
    > > This patch is also an alternative solution for ALSA drivers with similar
    > > problems (but #if's inside the drivers might have the advantage of
    > > saving some more bytes of gameport is not available).
    > >
    > > The only user-visible change is that for GAMEPORT=m the affected OSS
    > > drivers are now allowed to be built statically (but they won't have
    > > gameport support).
    > >
    > Hi Adrian,
    > I have somewhat mixed feeling about the patch. Some solutions is
    > definitely needed but I don't like allocating memory that will never
    > be used. I think I would perfer #ifdefing gameport support is OSS
    > modules, _if_ #ifdefs are out of line and not in the middle of code
    > path.
    > I'll let Vojtech decide which way he wants to go - he could probably
    > apply the patch and then we could convert drivers one by one and kill
    > the stubs later.

    OK, I'll add it, since it fixes immediate breakage. I'll also accept
    patches that #ifdef-out the relevant parts of sound drivers if gameport
    support is not present.

    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs, SuSE CR

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.024 / U:2.632 seconds]