SubjectRe: [rfc] keytables - the new keycode->keysym mapping
On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 02:26:54PM +0100, Jirka Bohac wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> find attached a patch that improves the keycode to keysym mapping in the
> kernel. The current system has its limits, not allowing to implement keyboard
> maps that people in different countries are used to. This patch tries to solve
> this. Please, tell me what you think, and merge if possible.
>
> Current state:
> --------------
>
> The keycodes are mapped into keysyms using so-called keymaps. A keymap is
> an array (of 255 elements per default) of keysyms, and there is one such
> keymap for each modifier combination. There are 9 modifiers (such as Alt,
> Ctrl, ....), so one would need to allocate 2^9 = 512 such keymaps to make
> use of all modifier combinations. However, there is a limit of 256 keymaps
> to prevent them eating too much memory. In short, you need a whole keymap
> to add a new modifier combination to a single key -- bad.
>
> The problem is, that not all keyboard modifiers can actually be assigned a
> keyboard map - CapsLock and NumLock simply aren't on the list.

The current keyboard code is far more powerful than you seem to think.

Keymaps are allocated dynamically, and only few people use more than 16.
You can have 256 keymaps, but they are not necessarily the 2^8 maps
belonging to all 2^8 combinations of simultaneously pressed modifier keys.

You can assign the "modifier" property to any key you like.
You can assign the effect of each modifier key as you like.
There are modifier keys with action while pressed, and modifier keys
that act on the next non-modifier keystroke (say, for handicapped),
and modifier keys that lock a state (say, to switch between Latin
and Cyrillic keyboards).

It seems very unlikely that you cannot handle Czech with all
combinations of 8 keys pressed, and need 9.
Please document carefully what you want to do and why you want
to do it. I think most reasonable things are possible.

(The weakest part is the support for Unicode / UTF8 - don't know
whether improvement would be good - it is clear that one doesnt
want to have full Unicode support in the kernel, but there is
continued pressure to add some support for diacriticals. We might.)

Andries

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.139 / U:0.028 seconds]