SubjectRe: [Question] LinuxThreads, setuid - Is there user mode hook?
Luke-Jr wrote:
> On Friday 23 December 2005 20:33, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
>>Applications have to run on existing platforms and work with existing
>>software, as I'm sure you know. If someone anywhere in the food chain
>>isn't ready for NPTL, a project can easily be stuck with LT for another
>>few years.
>

> Not sure about NPTL support in non-Linux-based operating systems (Solaris,
> BSD, etc), but I'd be surprised if they supported LinuxThreads. Thus,
> shouldn't NPTL really result in a *more* portable application?

NPTL vs. LinuxThreads is a purely Linux-specific (well, glibc-specific,
perhaps) issue, it is merely an implementation detail of the POSIX
pthreads functions which are present on other UNIX variants. A portable
application should not care which (if either) is being used.

I'm presuming that the fact that setuid calls with LinuxThreads do not
change the user ID on all threads is a violation of the POSIX pthreads
specification.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada