SubjectRe: Makefile targets: tar & rpm pkgs, while using O=<dir> as non-root
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Al Viro stated:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 07:49:20AM +0000, Nix wrote:
>> Well, personally I handle patch-application in cp -al'ed trees by doing
>> cp -al via a script, and repatching all currently hardlinked trees
>> (obviously if they are very divergent some patches will fail and I'll
>> have to fix them up by hand).
>
> ... then you edit a file to fix a typo, and have a _nice_ day next Friday
> when you notice that stuff got out of sync.

Your text editor is insufficiently flexible. Mine can snap hardlinks
automatically when st_nlink > 1. :)

(But let's avoid editor wars. I'm sure there's a magic way vim can be
coerced into doing things properly.)

What we really need is an FS that does behind-the-scenes block CoW
and/or block merging anyway; then we could just cp -a the damn tree
and keep the space savings.

>> (And if you're using this to maintain development branches, then you
>> have resync and conflict-management problems *anyway*, which this makes
>> no worse.)
>
> Yes, but it's easier to deal with when the number of your repositories
> doesn't get multiplied by factor of 20 or so...

Er, I don't have a factor of 20 more repositories than anyone else. (I
don't have the disk space for that!)

--
`I must caution that dipping fingers into molten lead
presents several serious dangers.' --- Jearl Walker