SubjectQuestion on the current behaviour of malloc () on Linux
Hi,

I first asked this question on uClinux mailing list. My first question
is <http://mailman.uclinux.org/pipermail/uclinux-dev/2005-December/036042.html>.
Although I found this issue on uClinux, it's also can be demostrated
on Linux. This is a small program:

$> cat test2.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int
main ()
{
char *p;
int i, j;
for (i = 0;; i++)
{
p = (char *) malloc (8 * 1024 * 1024);
if (p)
for (j = 0; j < 8 * 1024 * 1024; j++)
p[j] = 0x55;
else
{
printf ("%d fail\n", i);
break;
}
}
return 0;
}

When I run it on my Linux notebook, it will be killed. I expect to see
it prints out "fail".

Thanks,
Jie