    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] fix the EMBEDDED menu
    On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 02:05:31PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Adrian Bunk <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi Linus,
    > >
    > > your patch to allow CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE even for EMBEDDED=n has broken
    > > the EMBEDDED menu.
    > It looks like that patch needs to be reverted or altered anyway. sparc64
    > machines are failing all over the place, possibly due to newly-exposed
    > compiler bugs.
    > Whether it's the compiler or it's genuine kernel bugs, the same problems
    > are likely to bite other architectures.

    I believe there are instances where ARM fails if CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
    is not set. Luckily we have assertions in the generated assembly to
    flag these as assembly errors when they happen, rather than silently
    continuing to build.

    Maybe CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE should be:

    bool "..." if BROKEN || (!ARM && !SPARC64)

    ? 8)

    Note also that the help text:

    WARNING: some versions of gcc may generate incorrect code with this
    option. If problems are observed, a gcc upgrade may be needed.

    is reversed for the situation we have with ARM. Hence, I propose we
    change this to something like:

    WARNING: some versions of gcc may generate incorrect code if this
    option is changed form the platform default. If problems are
    observed, either a gcc upgrade may be needed or alternatively
    the platform default should be selected (=y for ARM and Sparc64,
    n for others.)

    Russell King
    Linux kernel 2.6 ARM Linux -
    maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core

      Last update: 2005-12-14 23:19    [W:0.047 / U:4.116 seconds]