    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] offer CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE only if EXPERIMENTAL
    On 12/14/05, Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:
    > On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 02:05:31PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Hi Linus,
    > > >
    > > > your patch to allow CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE even for EMBEDDED=n has broken
    > > > the EMBEDDED menu.
    > >
    > > It looks like that patch needs to be reverted or altered anyway. sparc64
    > > machines are failing all over the place, possibly due to newly-exposed
    > > compiler bugs.
    > >
    > > Whether it's the compiler or it's genuine kernel bugs, the same problems
    > > are likely to bite other architectures.
    >
    > The help text already contains a bold warning.
    >
    > What about marking it as EXPERIMENTAL?
    > That is not that heavy as EMBEDDED but expresses this.

    I, for one, definately think this is a good idea.
    Actually, it boggles my mind what this is doing outside of EMBEDDED -
    I just noticed it had moved when I build -git4 and oldconfig promted
    me about it.

    --
    Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>