    SubjectRe: kernel performance update - 2.6.14

    And one other item. Setting the build to preemptible kernel seems to
    improve I/O performance relative to 2.6.9, if you don't use it, the
    console has long periods where user processes are getting starved under
    extremely heavy I/O loads.

    Jeff

    jmerkey wrote:

    > jmerkey wrote:
    >
    >> Nick Piggin wrote:

    >>> These issues aren't going to fix themselves. Did you investigate
    >>> any of the performance or (more importantly) stability problems?
    >>

    > Added a little more clarification.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    >> Yes I did. The list wasn't too long. I had problems with RCU messages
    >> and irq warn messages at very high loads and init respawning itself
    >> subjected to loads > 369 MB/S to the disk channels on 2.6.13.
    >> Performance was down on disk I/O [vs.] 2.6.9. I did not investigate
    >> the BIO fixes but something changed there. Theres also some memory
    >> problems with corruption somewhere in the 2.6.14 (during module
    >> unload and shutdown).
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>

    > -
    > linux-kernel" in

      Last update: 2005-10-29 06:47    [W:0.033 / U:59.428 seconds]