    SubjectRe: starting with 2.7

    > > In practice, that's all the -rc releases are these days
    > anyway (there
    > > are times when a 2.6.x-rcy release is more stable than 2.6.z). The
    > > problem is that since the -rc releases are called what they are
    > > called, they don't get enough testing.
    > Perfectly true. I would add that with -rc releases, people
    > only upgrade when
    > we tell them that they can, while with more frequent
    > releases, they upgrade
    > when they *need* to, and can try several versions if the
    > first one they pick
    > does not work.

    I'd like to add some personal view : After 2.4.x, we have had a fork and
    2.5.x was born, clearly identified as a development tree, so no stability
    guaranteed... Then one day came 2.6.0, and so on...
    I'm sorry, but I still cannot consider 2.6.x being any stable the way 2.4.x
    is today.

    Theodore wrote :
    > that at least 1 in 3 releases will turn out to be stable enough for
    > most purposes. But we won't know until after 2 or 3 days which
    > releases will be the good ones.

    I mostly agree. When a new 2.4.x comes out, I have a confident feeling
    about it, and there is no reason for me to wait 2 or 3 days to know if
    it's stable or not. It's part of a stable branch, and there are no
    major changes in it.
    2.6.x, I still consider as a development branch. OK, people changed the
    numbering from 2.5.x to 2.6.x, but the number of changes still going on
    didn't really change. Just have a look at the numbers : patches are even
    bigger now that we are in a "stable" branch (4Mo average for 2.6 patch,
    gzip when we had a 1Mo average for 2.5 !)

    Yes, it is a wonderful playground. So let's keep it a playground, let
    number it 2.5.x again, and play with. Or let it be a stable branch,
    and do something for people needing a playground.

    PS : on my personal computer, I'm a player, so I'm running 2.6.x, but don't
    expect me to put that on a production server for long... No way, not yet,
    not as long as the decision on what *really* is 2.6.x is clear.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.031 / U:40.968 seconds]