    SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
    On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 04:19:10PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
    > The problem with the -rc releases is that we try to predict in advance
    > which releases in advance will be stable, and we don't seem to be able
    > to do a good job of that.

    I really like this description, it's the most accurate description I ever
    read of an -rc release. I wish you could convince Linus with it.

    The problem with -rc is that if we try to predict, it implies that we don't
    expect to count much on user reports. Then why do an -rc at all if we don't
    expect enough testings ?

    > If we do a release every week, my guess is
    > that at least 1 in 3 releases will turn out to be stable enough for
    > most purposes. But we won't know until after 2 or 3 days which
    > releases will be the good ones.

    That's always been my point, and one of the reasons why *some* of Alan's
    kernels work well.

    > In practice, that's all the -rc releases are these days anyway (there
    > are times when a 2.6.x-rcy release is more stable than 2.6.z). The
    > problem is that since the -rc releases are called what they are
    > called, they don't get enough testing.

    Perfectly true. I would add that with -rc releases, people only upgrade when
    we tell them that they can, while with more frequent releases, they upgrade
    when they *need* to, and can try several versions if the first one they pick
    does not work.

    Regards,
    Willy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.023 / U:0.688 seconds]