Subjectwhy do i get "Stale NFS file handle" for hours?
Date
Hi,

i think i know what's going an, and why i get the "stale nfs handle"
error-message when the NFS server is restartet (real reboot, or a simply
/etc/init.d/nfs restart) but what i don't understand is, why the NFS
client doesn't "remount" the filesystem autmatically. In case of NFS
over tcp, the NFS client could easily detect a restart of the NFS server
(the tcp-connection was aborted) or are there other factors that keep
the NFS client from recognizing such stuff?

The scenaria that made me writing this, is that i'm setting up an NFS
server at my college right now. It will export a directory to many
clients where i don't have root-access. The NFS-directories are mounted
by the clients via automounter, and if i restart my Server for any
reason, i will get the "stale nfs handle" for hours. The kernel does
neither remount nor unmount the directory, and the automounter simply
doesn't unmount it too. It keeps mounted, and that will cause me
troubles for hours.

Were that any thought on that subject here or in any other mailinglist?
Is there any chance, that this might be improved in the future somehow?

Thx
Sven

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.067 / U:0.052 seconds]