    SubjectRe: GPL source code for Smart USB 56 modem (includes ALSA AC97 patch)
    SashaK <> writes:

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:26:00 +0200 (MEST)
    > Mikael Pettersson <> wrote:
    >> I hope you succeed with open-sourcing all of slmodem's driver
    >> code. My Targa Athlon64 laptop has the AMR thingy and the
    >> 32-bit x86 binary only slmodem driver prevents me from using
    >> the modem while running a 64-bit kernel.
    > You mean to GPL user-space program slmodemd?
    > I think it is good idea, but unfortunately this code is not just my, and
    > final decision was 'no'.

    One way that would work is to make the binary parts of your driver run
    in user space and let the kernel part just provide a kind of simple
    sound card. The later should be much easier to free.

    Modern CPUs are usually fast enough that the additional latency
    caused by this doesn't matter.

    The 64bit kernel can run 32bit programs without problems.