    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.8-rc1
    On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:34:59AM +0200, Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:29:44 -0700 (PDT), Linus Torvalds
    > <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:
    > >
    > > Ok, there's been a long time between "public" releases, although the
    > > automated BK snapshots have obviously been keeping people up-to-date.
    > > Sorry about that, I blame mainly moving boxes and stuff around...
    >
    > Maybe I'm just missing the whole point but I wonder if we could define
    > a series of 'test' a version should pass before being marked as -rc ir
    > final.
    >
    > Now that we have the automated BK snapshots the "public" release seems
    > to be a minor milestone in the process.
    >
    > I would like to see ltp test suite, OSDL's compile stats and OSDL
    > benchmarking as part of the release process.
    >
    > Does it make sense ?

    Unless he really knows what he's doing, no user should use anything
    other than the actual releases (i.e. 2.6.7, 2.6.8, 2.6.9,...).

    OSDL does some tests for any -rc and many other people like me do other
    testing. Besides this, most patches already got similar treatment in
    -mm. This might not be a base for an ISO 9000 certificate, but it seems
    to be sufficietely working for finding most problems before the acttual
    release.

    It would be more important if Linus would release one last -rc that will
    be released unchanged (except for EXTRAVERSION a few days later to catch
    bugs in last minute changes. This might catch more problems like the JFS
    compile problem in 2.6.7.

    > Ciao,
    > Paolo

    cu