SubjectRE: more files with licenses that aren't GPL-compatible
>> > The kernel's license prohibits
>> > distrubiting it in combination with works that have licenses more
>> > restrictive than the GPL.
>>
>> That better be bogus, or else vendors are going to be very upset that
>> they can't ship the kernel with, say, trademarked images. For
example,
>> Mozilla's trademark on their artwork is fairly restrictive, or the
>> Mandrake Firewall product (if that's even still around - I don't keep
>> up).

Please keep distinct "ship with" in the sense of /inside/ the
kernel and "ship with" in the sense of on the same distribution
media. The GPL also has explicit wording for the latter
(you've already been quoted the words on the former):

"In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the
Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program)
on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring
the other work under the scope of this License. "

I can't imagine anyone putting the Mozilla logo inside the
kernel, but if they do, as mentioned, that's a problem if
its license is not GPL.

-- mats

Normal disclaimers apply: not a lawyer, not speaking on behalf
of my employer, etc. etc.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.037 / U:0.316 seconds]