    SubjectRe: Dealing with swsusp vs. pmdisk
    Hi.

    On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 13:01, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > > - Freezer hooks (I can easily get suspend2 working with the old freezer
    > > until people are convinced it's not up to the task). This accounts for
    > > the vast majority of those file changes.
    >
    > It would be nice if you did that as a first step indeed. I'm personally
    > not convinced of the usefullness of having a freezer at all ;)

    Without a freezer, how would you ensure that other processes don't mess
    up your memory state while you're saving/reloading the image?

    > Some of the "guard" code you added to the filesystem is scary too..

    It's really just paranoia, particularly for where swapfiles are in use.
    While developing the swapfile support, I had a couple of occasions where
    I messed up my superblock because of a bug. I'm very confident now that
    the suspend code itself is stable and mature, but since the device
    drivers aren't there, I'd rather not remove the safety nets just yet.

    Nigel
    --
    Nigel Cunningham
    C/- Westminster Presbyterian Church Belconnen

    Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events occur
    with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no one is given credit.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.025 / U:28.636 seconds]