    SubjectInitrd Question
    Date
    I wrote the initrd hint for the Linux from Scratch. I have followed the
    initrd.txt exactly to the letter. The problem I have noticed is with one of
    the commands, and I checked other mkinitrd scripts and they have the
    workaround in it.

    According to initrd.txt the echo 0x301 >/proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev is
    for the old change root mechanism, but I have tried to elminate that from my
    script and it fails everytime saying it can't find the root, the infamous
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on xx:xx. Here is my linuxrc
    script that is built from my mkinitrd script which can be viewed at
    http://cvs.jg555.com/viewcvs.cgi/scripts/system/mkinitrd.

    I use busybox for my script so I can keep the size down. My current size is
    only 387k.

    #!/bin/sh

    echo "Initial RAMDISK Loading Starting..."
    insmod /lib/megaraid.ko
    insmod /lib/aic7xxx.ko
    insmod /lib/uhci-hcd.ko
    echo "Mounting proc..."
    mount -n -t proc none /proc
    echo 0x0100 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
    echo "Mounting real root dev..."
    mount -n -o ro /dev/sda2 /new_root
    echo "Running pivot_root..."
    pivot_root /new_root /new_root/initrd
    if [ -c initrd/dev/.devfsd ]
    then
    echo "Mounting devfs..."
    mount -n -t devfs none dev
    fi
    if [ $$ = 1 ]
    then
    echo "Running init..."
    exec chroot . sbin/init dev/console 2>&1
    else
    echo "Using bug circumvention for busybox..."
    exec chroot . sbin/linuxrc dev/console 2>&1
    fi
    echo "Initial RAMDISK Loading Completed..."

    ----
    Jim Gifford
    maillist@jg555.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.023 / U:0.060 seconds]