    SubjectRe: dynamic-hz
    On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 12:56:29PM -0800, john stultz wrote:
    > Interesting patch, I know some folks have been asking about HZ=10k
    > recently, so this could help.

    Yes, they only need to pass HZ=10000 to the boot command line to make it
    work with 2.4.

    > The only bit that worries me a bit is the change from HZ->USER_HZ for
    > internal calculations. In my mind, USER_HZ should only be used for
    > converting internal system ticks to userspace-visible ticks. Changing
    > drivers to think about things in user-ticks confuses things a bit since
    > suddenly some kernel code is thinking in user-ticks and others in
    > system-ticks. It just muddles things a bit.

    I tried to make the smallest possible change to make the thing work,
    even if that sometime meant to think in user hz. The user_to_kernel_hz
    helper function converts back into kernel hz.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.021 / U:32.984 seconds]