    SubjectRe: Suspend 2 merge

    On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 20:34, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
    > Nigel Cunningham wrote:
    > > The cryptoapi provides support for both compression and encryption. I'd
    > > happily make use of that, but we still need a way for the user to choose
    > > what compression/encryption they want and configure it. I'm not at all
    > And encryption is in fact much more needed than compression. Remember,
    > you are writing everything in memory (including maybe ssh passphrases or
    > gpg keys) to swap in clear text. Not nice. And i agree that compression
    > is nice to have, too.
    > and not everyone who downloads suspend2 uses it ;-)

    Yes... I'd say the relative percentage would be much higher, though.

    > > change a parameter or forcing them to do an ls in /dev with obscure
    > > parameters (to get the major and minor numbers) when they already know
    > > they want /dev/sda1 isn't user friendly. Obviously user friendliness is
    > This can easily be done by a userspace helper. You do use the
    > (userspace) X server to display your GUI, don't you?

    No. Not at all. All of userspace is well and truly wedged in a block of
    ice by then.

    > Putting only the absolutely necessary things into the kernel (the same
    > is true for the interactive resume thing - if someone wants interactive
    > startup at a failing resume, he has to use an initrd, i don't see a
    > problem with that) will probably increase the acceptance a bit :-)

    That's fine if your initrd is properly configured and you're willing to
    add extra cruft to the kernel so userspace can get the info it needs,
    and report what the user wants to do. If, however, you don't use an
    initrd, you're sunk.

    Regarding acceptance, there's no point in getting it accepted into the
    kernel if we end up with something that's user-unfriendly. I think it
    will help a lot if we agree that suspend does need to blur the lines
    between kernel and userspace a little, in the interests of providing
    software that is superior.

    Nigel Cunningham
    Pastoral Worker
    Christian Reformed Church of Tuggeranong
    PO Box 1004, Tuggeranong, ACT 2901

    You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ
    died for the ungodly. -- Romans 5:6

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.325 / U:18.964 seconds]