    SubjectRe: 21 million inodes is causing severe pauses.
    On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 02:57:14PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Robin Holt <> wrote:
    > >
    > > One significant problem we are running into is autofs trying to umount the
    > > file systems. This results in the umount grabbing the BKL and inode_lock,
    > > holding it while it scans through the inode_list and others looking for
    > > inodes used by this super block and attempting to free them.
    > You'll need invalidate_inodes-speedup.patch and
    > break-latency-in-invalidate_list.patch (or an equivalent).

    With these patches and a new test where I periodically put on mild
    but diminishing memory pressure, I have been able to get the number
    of inodes up to 31 Million. I would really like to find a way to
    reduce limit the number of inodes or am I seeing a problem where
    none exists? After putting on constant mild memory pressure, I have
    seen then number of inodes stabilize at 17-18 Million.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.020 / U:35.816 seconds]