    SubjectALSA: bad sound with low CPU load
    Basically, sound comes out as a hissing, garbled mess *unless* I load
    down the CPU. A kernel compile seems to do nicely for this purpose.

    I've been seeing this behavior in the late 2.6.0-pre kernels through
    2.6.1 plain and -mm1. It happens with preempt and HPET both enabled
    and disabled. I haven't yet found what exact kernel version the
    problem starts with, and I get no sound with the OSS drivers, so I
    can't test them ATM. I plan to narrow things down if possible, but
    that takes time.

    System is an Athlon at 1145 MHz on an ECS K7S5A (SiS 735 chipset)
    running Debian Sid with ALSA-base v0.9.8-3. The problem happens both
    with the onboard i810-compatible sound and a CM8738 PCI sound board.
    (Note that both are fixed at 48000 Hz.) I'm tempted to buy 'n' try a
    SoundBlaster-PCI card from FreeGeek.

    I'd be happy to provide further info, but didn't want to start out
    with a super-long message for something that may be obvious, if not
    visible in Google or LKML. Please reply to the list; I'm subscribed.

    Thanks in advance,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.020 / U:37.012 seconds]