SubjectRe: [OT] Redundancy eliminating file systems, breaking MD5, donating money to OSDL
Date
On Friday 16 January 2004 21:59, Timothy Miller wrote:
> Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:22:39 EST, Timothy Miller <miller@techsource.com>
said:
> >>Think about it! If we had a filesystem that actually DID this, and it
> >>was in the Linux kernel, it would spread far and wide. It's bound to
> >>happen that someone will identify a collision. We then report that to
> >>the committee offering the reward and then donate it to OSDL to help
> >>Linux development.
> >
> > Actually, it's *not* "bound to happen". Figure out the number of blocks
> > you'd need to have even a 1% chance of a birthday collision in a 2**128
> > space.
> >
> > And you'd need that many disk blocks on *a single system*.
> >
> > Then figure out the chances of a collision on a small machine that only
> > has 20 or 30 terabytes (yes, in this case terabytes is small).
>
> Certainly. No one machine is going to find it in a reasonable period.
> OTOH, if a million machines were doing it, it increases the chances by
> just that much.

Let's take a look at the chances. 30 terabytes is, in a best-case scenario
(with 512-byte blocks) about 6e10 blocks. That would be roughly
6e10*6e10*(2**(-128)), or about 1e-17. With a hundred million machines, the
chances of a collision would be about 1e-9, disregarding the fact that all
these machines have a large chance of containing similar blocks -- their data
isn't truly random, so some blocks have a larger chance of occurring than
others. The data sets on the machines are probably reasonably static, so if
the collision isn't found *at once* the chances of it occurring later are
much smaller. So, even under the most positive assumptions, with a hundred
million machines with 30 terabytes of storage each, it's extremely probable
that you won't find a collision. (A 96-bit hash could have been broken with
this setup however. :) )

-- Bart

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.070 / U:0.532 seconds]