    SubjectRe: [OT] Redundancy eliminating file systems, breaking MD5, donating money to OSDL

    Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:22:39 EST, Timothy Miller <miller@techsource.com> said:
    >

    >>Think about it! If we had a filesystem that actually DID this, and it
    >>was in the Linux kernel, it would spread far and wide. It's bound to
    >>happen that someone will identify a collision. We then report that to
    >>the committee offering the reward and then donate it to OSDL to help
    >>Linux development.
    >

    > Actually, it's *not* "bound to happen". Figure out the number of blocks you'd
    > need to have even a 1% chance of a birthday collision in a 2**128 space.
    >
    > And you'd need that many disk blocks on *a single system*.
    >
    > Then figure out the chances of a collision on a small machine that only has 20
    > or 30 terabytes (yes, in this case terabytes is small).

    Certainly. No one machine is going to find it in a reasonable period.
    OTOH, if a million machines were doing it, it increases the chances by
    just that much.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.028 / U:31.624 seconds]