Subjectpartition weirdness

Hi all,

I'm having an odd problem with one of my disks. This disk has been through a lot
in the last week and a half, including being re-written with dd repeatedly (from
an image originally taken by dd), hexedited, etc. It started in an Ultrasparc,
and now lives in a PC, has a sun disklabel, and has stuff on it that I want from
when it was in the ultra. The ultra was running 2.4.19-rc1, the PC originally had
the same, has since been upgraded to 2.4.22-ac1.

The problem is this: the partition table is recognized, but the individual
partitions (the ones I care about) are zero, that is to say, they contain the
right size of zeros. The disk device itself, at the partition table boundaries,
is not zero, and I can't explain this discrepency. On the disk, there seem to be
correct and valid superblocks at the right places, they just don't exist in the
partition devices.

i.e. read from /dev/discs/disc2/part4 (or 6 or 7) is all zeros
/dev/discs/disc2/part1 (/) is a valid ext3 filesystem, as is part3 and disc.
part2 was swap, there is stuff in there, but I don't care about it.

Of course, the ones I want the information from is 4, 6, and 7.

A related question: If I have the dd image of the disk, shouldn't I be able to
cut it at the right places, put that in a new file, and mount that? i.e. 'mount
-o loop -r filename /mnt', but when I do that, e2fsck says bad magic number in
superblock, however, e2dump -s can read it fine. (none of the other flags to
e2dump works, however.) If I can slice up the disk into files and read those,
that works too, so solving either problem is adequate.

Any suggestions? I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Aaron

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.093 / U:0.308 seconds]